Weekly Geeks #24 – fun facts about an author

I’m tackling this Weekly Geeks task below

weekly-geeks-button1. Choose a writer you like.

2. Using resources such as Wikipedia, the author’s website, whatever you can find, make a list of interesting facts about the author.

3. Post your fun facts list in your blog, maybe with a photo of the writer, a collage of his or her books, whatever you want.

4. Come sign the Mr Linky below with the url to your fun facts post.

5. As you run into (or deliberately seek out) other Weekly Geeks’ lists, add links to your post for authors you like or authors you think your readers are interested in.

dickfrancisI’ve chosen Dick Francis because his was the first mystery written for adults that I read so it’s partially his fault I spend my leisure time reading crime fiction rather than doing the housework.

• He is 88 years old and still publishing books
  • He flew a spitfire during World War II
  • He has published an autobiography, 41 novels, a volume of short stories and a non-fiction book
  • All of the books have something to do with horses
  • You can send an e-card with a dick francis theme
  • No movies have been made of any of his novels (a TV mini-series was made in the early 70’s but it wasn’t based on one specific book)
  • You can take a trivia quiz about dick francis at goodreads (for the record I scored 6/7)
  • In 1957 Francis fell from his horse in a race and was advised he could not continue his career as a jockey so he became the racing correspondent for the Sunday Express (a London newspaper).

And he has bought this book blogger many hours of enjoyment.

This entry was posted in memes and challenges. Bookmark the permalink.

9 Responses to Weekly Geeks #24 – fun facts about an author

1. Sherrie says:

Hi!
    I have never read any of his books. I’ll have to find some of his works and put them on my TBR list. Thanks for the info. Thanks for stopping by my place. Take Care!!

Sherrie

2. Maree says:

Very interesting. I’ve never read Dick Francis, but I do love a good mystery. 🙂

3. alirambles says:

I’ve read every one of Dick Francis’ books, even though I’m not a big fan of the mystery genre. I love his characters. He’s probably the first adult mystery writer I have read, also–I have fond memories of the first 10 books of his that I read during a week my family spent in Tuscany, Italy. Ten, because that’s how many there were on the dusty bookshelf in the basement, and once I’d fallen in love with Rat Race I had to read all the rest. It being Italy, I actually wasn’t sure I’d be able to find his books after I got back home to the States.

One more bit of trivia: He’s been knighted. So it’s Sir Dick Francis!

4. bernadetteinoz says:

I had not caught up with his Knighthood…well deserved I’m sure.

One of his books was set in Italy…a kidnapping of an Italian Jockey was the theme but I can’t remember the title

I have “grwon up” on Dick Francis too Bernadette. When he first started writing murder mysteries set in a horse racing environment was very different.
    I didn’t realised he had been knighted either but Barnes & Noble says
    Sir Richard Stanley Francis (full name)

Current Home:
    Cayman Islands, British West Indies
    Francis was made an Officer of the most noble Order of the British Empire in 1984, and was awarded the British Crime Writers Association silver dagger in 1965, gold dagger in 1980 and Cartier diamond dagger for his life’s work in 1990.

6. Juliann says:

I have not read anything by this author but will look for something at the library.
    Thanks for stopping by my blog. I haven’t read the Corduroy Mansions yet but have enjoyed the Sunday Philosophers series.

7. Marg says:

I can’t say I have read any of his books, despite his prolific backlist!

8. Louise says:

Thanks for an interesting post about Dick Francis. For a moment I confused him with that other writer…..forgot his name….wrote a long series about a police office in a fictional city in USA. And even though I cannot remember his name and for sure have not read all his books, he was the first adult crime writer I read 😉 I think I have read one or two Dick Francis ones, but have always been turned off by the horse-thing, don’t know why, as I actually like both horses and riding. Just not in my thrillers.

9. Pingback: Vale Dick Francis « Reactions to Reading