BTT: Time Enough?

This week’s Booking Through Thursday topic is to answer a couple of time related questions.1115053_tick_tock_2

Do you get to read as much as you want to read?

As with most passions my first answer is, not surprisingly, no. I often dream of taking a reading holiday. In my dream I don’t have to do anything: not see a sight, take a tour, frolic with family or hike a hill. I would lie on a gently rocking swing of some sort with a pile of books by my side and a constant supply of drinks with umbrellas in them. In the end though I’ll keep it as a fantasy because I suspect that, as with all good things, you can have too much and I’d hate for one of my life’s great enjoyments to become something mundane. I think, perhaps, that I enjoy the limited amount of reading-for-pleasure minutes that I have precisely because they are limited. I squeeze reading time out of busy days or allocate it to myself as a reward for doing something unpleasant (like housework or not falling asleep in a meeting) and so I really appreciate it. If I had an unlimited supply of reading hours I just might not appreciate them as much as I do now.

If you had (magically) more time to read–what would you read? Something educational? Classic? Comfort Reading? Escapism? Magazines?

I read a lot of stuff I’m not terribly interested in as part of my job. So any magically available time would be spent on reading for escape, comfort and entertainment. In other words more of the same sort of things as I review on this blog. A couple of years ago I had a discussion with a woman on my morning bus ride to work. We were stuck in an abnormal traffic delay and I remarked that at least we both had our books with us so it wouldn’t be too bad. She grimaced and said she was only reading hers because her a colleague had loaned it to her but she was bored to tears by it and she really wanted to be reading the Jane Green novel she’d bought some weeks before. I realised I had often wished to be reading something else myself and that was the moment I decided that I would never again struggle through someone else’s idea of a worthy book that must be read. I’ll give most things a go but when I stop enjoying the reading experience then I switch to something else.

This entry was posted in memes and challenges. Bookmark the permalink.

14 Responses to BTT: Time Enough?

1. Nicole says:

I think anywhere from 2-5 hours a day is a good enough time. I love to read but my body does get restless from the inactivity of reading for long periods of time. As it is I usually don’t get to do than much reading and I spend my time on the weekend playing catch up.

2. Ania says:

Definitely, there are too many good books out there to be wasting time on anything you just can’t get into. I gave up on a book today after giving it a fair shot, and I’m happy that I can start something else now!

3. Sally says:

No one has enough reading time, and we all could use more to read what we like. Happy BTT!

4. Beth F says:

I know what you mean about reading what *you* want, not what someone else thinks you should read. But I try to stay open-minded so I can discover great books and authors I might not have found on my own. A delicate balance.

5. Yvonne says:

I never feel like I have enough reading time, but I suppose too much of a good thing isn’t the best either. I’ve gone on vacations taking a bunch of books – convinced I’ll have enough time to read them, but it never works out that way.

6. That reading vacation sounds like a great fantasy!

7. I do like reading holidays. I have done it often. I just take a break from school and read all day.

Here is my BTT post

8. Bluestocking says:

LOL I know exactly what you mean!!

9. Wanda says:

Reading time is always treasured! There are days that all I seem to manage is the time spent reading with my little girl; magical mother/daughter time. 🙂

10. Jeane says:

It took me a while to realize sometimes it’s good to just quit when a book is boring you. Now I do it all the time; the minutes are too precious.

11. Robin says:

I too have finally realized it’s okay to quit reading a book if it totally bores me and move on to something else. I read to be entertained and if its not entertaining, then why do it. Reading vacations are nice. Especially when you bring along the right books.

Robin of mytwoblessings

I’d like to read faster. I just don’t seem to get through a book quickly enough these days.

13. Cathy says:

Fortunately I don’t have people who tell me what I *have* to read. They usually ask me what I think they should be reading!

14. Julia says:

I have a habit of continue reading a book even though it bored me to tears. But I have break from that habit a tiny teeny weeny bit LOL ! When I know it just not worth continue to read it, I quit. I just have to remember that I gave the book a fair amounts of times of reading it. So it not like I didn’t try. I hate to give up on a book and not give it a chance.

But I do know what you mean though and I agree. And hey I enjoy that vacation fantasy you brought up 🙂

Thanks for visiting my blog, and Have a Happy Holidays!