Quarterly report January-March 2009

In my working life quarterly reports are mandatory and I have been drowning in bar graphs, pie charts and thinking up new ways to say the same thing as I said last quarter. I sometimes think it wouldn’t matter whether my team did the work we’re paid for as long as I completed the quarterly report templates well enough. Anyway, as reporting has been on my mind, I thought I’d report on something more interesting (to me). These statistics are just as meaningless as the ones I collect for work but I had more fun with them 🙂

09q1-books-read1

The graph to the right shows I’ve read 31 books (which if I keep up the rate will allow me to reach my target of at least 100 books for the year). I’m pleased with the ratio of new authors in the mix as I’ve been making a conscious effort not to stick to all my old favourites. I’m not nearly as thrilled about the number by Australian authors. I will aim to improve things during the current quarter.

The graph below shows I’ve been doing well at selection as I have rated 21 of them 3 or more out of 5 and only one was a DNF. All this means that I’m really enjoying more than two thirds of what I’m reading.

09q1-book-ratings1

My 5-star rated reads were

Echoes from the Dead, The Girl Who Played With Fire, Voodoo Doll and (non-crime fiction) The White Tiger.

• The most troubling statistic though is that I’ve acquired 48 books during this period. Even though most of those acquisitions have come via bookmooch or other free sources it is worrisome because another goal for this year is to read more books than I acquire.
  • I have disposed of some books via bookmooch but my collection has increased overall by 30 (to now stand at 737 books).
  • And I still have 155 books unread, not counting the ones I have borrowed from libraries and friends. Nor counting the ones I’ve ordered via book mooch or from ARC sources. Clearly I’m going to have to read faster.
  • I did impose a ban on book buying at the end of February and at the time of posting it has been 33 days, 20 hours, 58 minutes and 23 seconds since I purchased a book (not that I’m counting).

This entry was posted in charts, charts, charts, list, silly nonsense. Bookmark the permalink.

9 Responses to Quarterly report January-March 2009

Bit of a worry when you get this organised isn’t it?
    I like the idea of a “new to me? author field in my records though.

2. bernadetteinoz says:

Yes Kerrie I do think I’ve taken things a bit too far with my reading related record keeping.

I really like your graphs 🙂
    Thanks to my nearly-three-months-old blog I also know that I have read 39 books, commented on 11 of them and reviewed 28. After a slow start, I have been really good in March with 13 reviews.
    Only one Australian, however, but I downloaded three free boks recently. Are you familiar with Maurilia Meehan, Brian Kavanagh or Rosanne Dingli?

4. bernadetteinoz says:

Dorte I’ve only read Brian Kavanagh’s of the three authors you mention. His series is light, very English (even though he’s an Aussie) and full of good historical facts which I always enjoy. I’ll look forward to seeing what you think of the Aussies.

I’ve not downloaded any e-books as I hate reading on screen. I do so much of it for work. I’m on the lookout for a good e-reader but have never found anything to my liking yet (no Kindles in Australia).

I am not keen on reading books on screen either. I just saw this as an opportunity to get acquainted with some Australian authors. I´ll try Kavanagh first and see if I can read it without feeling I´m working 🙂

6. Beth F says:

I love your write up and graphs! Very cool!

7. Marg says:

I love my reading related spreadsheets! You are doing much better than I am in terms of Australian authors!

8. Book Chook says:

Graphs are geeky but rather gorgeous!

9. jovenus says:

I do the same thing, except I haven’t drawn up graphs like what you did. Good Idea Bernadette! I do these things for a living too, I simply adores your charts!