BBAW Treasure #1 – Favourite Blog Discovered This Year

First up, a confession. I am not the world’s biggest fan of BBAW (that’s Book Bloggers Appreciation Week for the uninitiated). Of course I don’t object to the intention that underpins it which is “to recognize the hard work and contribution of book bloggers to the promotion and preservation of a literate culture actively engaged in discussing books, authors, and a lifestyle of reading”. How could I not support that ideal?

But I do find the intense week of having my google reader account bombarded by 5-10 times the normal number of posts overwhelming. With a couple of hundred book blog subscriptions that’s a lot of extra posts. Last year I read the first couple of days’ worth of posts then hid offline for a week and quietly hit “mark all as read”. I suspect I’ll be doing much the same again this year, and have decided in advance not to feel guilty about it.

Let me be totally clear though I am not calling for the end of BBAW or suggesting that other people’s celebrations of it or participation in it should in any way diminish. If you have the necessary combination of time, energy, persistence and cheerfulness to post daily, visit all the blogs, interview other bloggers, comment madly and sign up for the giveaways I tip my hat to you. Just please don’t be cross with me if I go hide in my offline corner again ’til all the fuss dies down and don’t take it personally if I don’t visit all your BBAW posts this week.

All of that out of the way, I did have a look at the five daily post topics and thought I’d pick out the one that’s most important to me for a single post about BBAW. That’s about all I can manage on the participation front I’m afraid.

Today’s question asks us to highlight a great book blog we’ve discovered this year.

I am highlighting two (yes I know that’s not in the rules) and readers of this blog won’t be surprised to find they are both crime fiction blogs:

The Game’s Afoot is the blog of Jose Ignacio Escribano who lives in Spain and blogs (in English) (he’d have to as I’m woefully monolingual) about his crime fiction finds as well as providing snippets of life in sunny Spain (at least I always assume it is sunny when I am reading a post by Jose Ignacio, this has been particularly enjoyable during the recent deluge we have experienced in my part of the world). He writes great reviews and often teases us about books that have been published in Spanish that those of us who are linguistically challenged might get to read in translation one day.

Yet Another Crime Fiction Blog is hosted by Keishon (pronounced KEY-shon) who lives (I think) in the US and though it has been around since May I only discovered it in the last few weeks but it is already a firm favourite. Keishon seems to have the same attitude to blogging and reading as I do and from what I have seen we also share a similar sense of humour. Keishon writes thoughtful reviews that clearly set out the pros and cons of a book without being nasty or mean in any way (yes I could learn a thing or two about politeness) (but we all know I won’t).

I heartily recommend both of these to everyone, especially crime fiction fans.

Anyway, that’s it for me for BBAW, I do hope everyone gets to participate as much (or as little) as they want to and also remembers to appreciate their favourite book bloggers during the other 51 weeks of the year 🙂

This entry was posted in blog spotlight, just links. Bookmark the permalink.

14 Responses to BBAW Treasure #1 – Favourite Blog Discovered This Year

1. Iris says:

I can imagine that your reader gets incredibly busy, I’m having a hard time catching up as it is! But then I love this opportunity of discovering so many new blogs! Yours is one of them, actually..

2. Jose Ignacio says:

Bernadette you make me blush. That was very nice to hear (or I should say read it). I hope your words can help me to improve my blog. Thank you very much.

3. I don’t know of many crime fiction blogs, I’ll have to check them out.

I’ll never be cross with you! But do pop by and have a cup of tea with me over at my blog when you are free. 😉

5. Bernadette -You’ve highlighted two absolutely wonderful blogs. I agree 100% that The Game’s Afoot and Yet Another… are well worth a place on the blog roll, and I’m glad you spotlighted them.

Oh, this one had completely passed me by! I checked out their website but although I was tempted to join in (as it is a bit more meaty than some of these group things) I think I won’t, because some of the tasks seem a bit daunting – interview buddies? Also, like you, I have discovered these same two blogs in the past year and like them a lot, too. I think (but am not sure) that the other blogs I like the most have been going for more than a year, so I can’t include any variety even if I did write a post today! (I think Dorte’s blog has been going for well over a year now, I think that one is relatively recent for me, also Rob Kitchen’s View from the Blue House – feels as if it’s been going for more than a year). For me, in a world (internet) when there are just so many blogs and other RSS-based articles, it is a pleasure to have a relatively few blogs that discuss books that I and the bloggers concerned are actually reading – it makes such a difference to my reading pleasure. Discussing a book within a few months or so of reading it makes it all the more interesting, and I have certainly picked up several titles I would not otherwise have done from reading these blogs.

7. Keishon says:

Bernadette, you are too kind! Thank you for the encouragement & kind words and yes I am from the US. I should put that in my bio page. I just added another blog (besides yours) to my reader. Thank you!

8. Adding both of these to my feedreader!

9. Adding both to my google reader! Thanks!

Here is my BBAW: First Treasure post!

10. Beth F says:

Oh no! Two new to me crime blogs? I will definitely check them out.

I joined BBAW last year and thought it was fun, though hectic. But (as one of my wise Australian blog friends would say) if I want to be a crime fiction writer, I should write crime fiction.

12. Marg says:

I know exactly what you mean about the groaning feed reader! I figure that I am that far behind in my reader anyway, more posts aren’t going to make all that much difference to me. I think part of it is to participate as much as you want to. Don’t want to do some of the posts – that’s fine!

Jose’s blog is new to me, but I have been following Keishon’s various blogs for a number of years now! (Hi Keishon). We have a shared love of Ariana Franklin/Diana Norman to start. I have really enjoyed everything I have read from her new crime blog as well!

Omigod! More good websites/blogs to read which competes with my reading time. I find myself up at all hours reading excellent blogs and then trying to find time to read some of the books being written about. But then there are links to read on the websites and from the websites…and how do we have time for it all? It’s a 24/7 job or should I say hobby?

14. Word Lily says:

You’re definitely not alone on the overwhelmed-by-BBAW front, I assure you. I’m glad you were able to share this, though!