The 2011 Eastern European Reading Challenge

What I think will be my final challenge for next year is the Eastern European Reading Challenge being hosted by Amy of The Black Sheep Dances who was responsible for this year’s highly successful Scandinavian Reading Challenge.

Given that I only have one book in my TBR that qualifies for this challenge and I am trying not to add too much to that pile I am only going to aim for the tourist level of the challenge. This requires me to read 4 books set in one of these countries: Croatia, Ukraine, Bosnia, Serbia, Montenegro, Hungary, Belarus, Estonia, Albania, Bulgaria, Georgia, Slovakia, Slovenia, Poland, Czech Rep., Latvia, Lithuania, Russia, Romania, Moldova, or Kosovo.

I’ve got Entanglement by Zygmunt Miłoszewski to read which is set in Poland and I’ll need to find three other books over the course of the year. Any suggestions of translated crime fiction from these countries would be most welcome.

This entry was posted in 2011 Eastern European Challenge. Bookmark the permalink.

9 Responses to The 2011 Eastern European Reading Challenge

1. Bernadette – I give you lots of credit for taking on this challenge. I very much like the creative way you are attacking your Mount TBR. I’m impressed…..

That looks very challenging! I’ll let you know if I come across any in my TBR

It seems as if Woman from Bratislava, by Leif Davidsen would qualify for the Eastern European challenge, since much of it does take place in various countries in that region. Have you read that?

4. Jose Ignacio says:

Am looking forward to your reviews in this challenge too Bernadette.

5. Karen says:

I liked Marek Krajewski’s Phantoms of Breslau.

Haven’t read any Eastern European mysteries yes, however, just finished one that takes place on the Eastern coast of South America, which was suggested here: “Southwesterly Wind,” good book, interesting series, by Luiz Alfredo Garcia-Roza. Thanks.

7. amy says:

Thanks Bernadette for helping promote the Challenge!

I will keep an eye out for crime fiction for you. My first thought was the Arkady Renko series by Martin Cruz Smith (Gorky Park, Stalin’s Ghost, etc). All take place in Russia.

8. Pingback: 2011 Historical Fiction Reading Challenge | Reactions to Reading