Happy St Patrick’s Day to all

Imitiation is the sincerest form of flattery so I will copy Kim’s idea of celebrating St. Patrick’s Day by highlighting the Irish books I have reviewed here on the blog. It’s important to note that I’m imitating the idea not the quantity as my 8 books doesn’t really stack up to Kim’s 75. But I am participating in the Irish Reading Challenge this year and have several more books on the TBR stack.

Alan Glynn’s Winterland “…one of those books that defies easy categorisation and is recommended to anyone who enjoys great writing, compelling story-telling and terrific characters”

Bateman’s Mystery Man “a loving satire on the crime fiction genre that turned me into the crazy giggling lady on public transport”

Gene Kerrigan’s The Midnight Choir “is a big novel, not in terms of length (the nine and a half hours listening time flew by) but in terms of its subject. Rather than focusing on a particular incident, investigator or criminal this book depicts a myriad of crimes perpetrated by an assortment of criminals and paints a giant canvas showing how and why crime happens.”

Ian Sansom’s Mr Dixon Disappears “if you can put aside your need for story for a couple of hours and just enjoy the beauty of funny, well constructed sentences and some charming characterisations then I highly recommend the book”

Ken Bruen’s The Dramatist “…a perfect noir tale with the best – most appropriate – ending I’ve read in forever”.

Rob Kitchin’s The Rule Book “On one level a ripping crime fiction yarn which would be pleasing enough but also made me ponder about the role we all play in making things impossible for police in with our insatiable desire for gory details and our seeming unwillingness to accept that real life is rarely, if ever, as simple as portrayed on shows like CSI” and The White Gallows “a captivating and credible reading experience, though not always a comfortable one as it raised issues that are all too real.

Stuart Neville’s The Ghosts of Belfast “not my favourite of the bunch but a very popular (and award winning) book elsewhere, a bit too testosterone-fuelled and lacking in light and shade for me

So, Lá ‘le Pádraig sona daoibh go léir

This entry was posted in Alan Glynn, Bateman, Gene Kerrigan, Ian Sansom, Ireland, list, Rob Kitchin, Stuart Neville. Bookmark the permalink.

9 Responses to Happy St Patrick’s Day to all

It is days like this I wish I could claim some Irish blood 😦

2. Bookventures says:

Great idea for a post. Happy St. Patrick’s Day! I have to agree with the first commenter. I wish I was Irish… 🙂

3. My maternal grandparents were both born in Ireland and migrated here to escape the poverty and politics – between them they had 21 siblings, many of whom also ended up here and generally celebrated St Patrick’s Day together by drinking themselves into a coma at the Irish club in town (they’d all come down from the country for the big day) – as the youngest person in my generation of the family (with no one below me to delegate to) I spent many years as their designated driver…sadly there’s no one left from that generation now and us youngsters don’t have nearly the stamina – I’ll be tucked up in bed by 10:00 tonight I’m sure 🙂

4. Cathy says:

I’ll meet you at the cyber pub where the first round’s on you. (I am a Scot after all!) I’ve been celebrating Irish crime fiction, too.

5. Oh you have too Cathy (a whole month of Irish crime fiction over at Kittling Books folks) – I had forgotten that but have added several books to my wishlist already thanks to you. Happy to buy several rounds (we can’t stop at just one on a day like today)

Lá ‘le Pádraig sona daoibh go léir to you too Bernadette. Hope you come up of Irish reading challenge triumph!

Happy St. Patrick’s Day to all! I agree with celebrating books by Irish authors on this day. Also add to the mix, Faithful Place, by Tana French, is a very well-written book, set in Dublin about contemporary working-class life, a murder, a police procedural (sort of), and a story of lost love.
    Since I don’t partake of the spirit, I’ll celebrate my Irish heritage, by violating my budget, and buying a few more books.

8. Mel u says:

Great list of Irish books-with the greatest deference

I would like to invite you to consider participating in

Irish Short Story Week-3/14 to 3/20

I am far too late, but I have an Irish review for tomorrow – perhaps not imitation but inspiration from your blog – and I also laughed my way through it.