More book spin nonsense

I wrote last year of my annoyance at book blurb writers but have largely managed to keep my blurb rage under control since then. However I feel the urge to ask “what the…?” with respect to the marketing of the latest book in Elly Griffiths Ruth Galloway series, A Room Full of Bones

Combine a splash of Alan Bradley with a pinch of Kathy Reichs and you have a gripping new Ruth Galloway Mystery — a good-hearted mystery series with a dark edge.

I don’t know that I actually want to spend time imagining the awfulness that would result from a combination of Alan Bradley and Kathy Reichs but I am a hundred percent sure I wouldn’t want to read it. I suppose I should be grateful they didn’t throw in a reference to Griffiths being the next Stieg Larsson 🙂

What’s the silliest or most off-putting book blurb or marketing material you’ve spied lately?

Advertisements
This entry was posted in rant or rave. Bookmark the permalink.

16 Responses to More book spin nonsense

1. Sarah says:

I have the latest ALan Bradley to read. I cannot imagine him being crossed with Kathy Reichs either.
    I read a book by Michael Koryta last year that compred him on the front and back cover to Stephen King, Dean Koontz, Michael Connelly, Dan Simmons and Peter Straub. They missed off Steig Larsson too!

Oh that is so ridiculous! I read this book recently but don’t think I saw that (I don’t read the press release that comes with books the publisher sends you). I’ve given the book back to Karen now so I can’t check the UK edition against yours. But how crazy – and has anyone in the UK even heard of Alan Bradley (I have via blogs, have not read him, but I don’t think he is a name here).

I tend not to read blurbs because they make me so mad, but Lucifer’s Tears which I just reviewed compared it to Stieg Larsson and Jo Nesbo, and had a sticker “next best thing in Nordic crime” (even though the author is American and is Finland Nordic anyway?) as well as an endorsement from Michael Connelly – they didn’t miss much there!

I will look out for some truly awful examples on other books – it shouldn’t take long 😉

3. Bernadette, not a new suggestion but I just want to add that I think it’s a shame the publisher feels the need to market the author like that when they already have 3 books behind them.

Well, whoa, that combination would send me yelling in the opposite direction, never to pick up a Ruth Galloway book again — and she’s a favorite character of mine. How can they do this to the readers? Can’t anyone stand on their own merit? Or is super-profits the only goal? Whatever it will take, and I can see the publicists wringing their hands in a dark room — Whose names can we put on the cover blurbs this time? (Relevant or not) Shocking! Leave Ruth Galloway alone. She’s doing fine. Lots of women readers (and men) love her escapades and character.

5. Bernadette – Yes, that certainly counts as a ridiculous blurb! I wouldn’t even get anywhere near a book that was marketed that way. You’ve highlighted the reason for which I pay no attention to blurbs. They are too often not just ridiculous but completely unrelated to the book. Now you’re inspiring me to go on an “awful blurb hunt….”

The publishing world has lost its collective mind! Next we’ll see If you like Jussi Adler-Olsen, you’ll love Lene Kaaberbol and Agnete Friis: They’re all Danish! If you loved Stieg Larsson, you’ll love Elly Griffiths: The main character is an exceptional, eccentric woman!

7. Barbara says:

I don’t pay any attention to blurbs anymore because I too got fed up with the nonsense. Just a splash across the cover of “another whoever” makes me wonder whether I should just skip the book. I know authors who hate this too because they know it turns away potential readers.

8. Keishon says:

Both those authors being mentioned would put me off. I’ve heard great things about Griffiths so I am looking forward to reading her despite the bad marketing nonsense.

9. LauraR says:

Tom Rob Smith’s latest suggested Jo Nesbo/Stieg Larsson as comparators. Erm yes. 1940s/50s/60s Soviet Russia, Stalinism, a Paul Robeson type character, hero as good man working in a wicked system, Soviets in Afghanistan etc, I can really see the Stieg link, not. Philip Kerr or Olen Steinhauer immediately spring to mind as the appropriate comparators.

10. Belle Wong says:

I like Alan Bradley but can’t imagine a cross between him and Kathy Reichs – and if I could, well, Flavia and Brennan certainly wouldn’t add up to Ruth Galloway! I didn’t realize there was a new Galloway book – another one for the to-read list.

11. I always ignore those book blurbs as I also find them totally annoying and of little value.

12. suzigun says:

Just finished reading my first Elly Griffiths title, and while Tempe Brennan and Ruth Galloway both work with bones, and they’re both women, I think that’s where the similarity ends. Not much to base a recommendation on!

13. I have only bought ebooks lately, and they are blessedly sticker-free. It would be difficult to beat the silliness of your find anyway 🙂

Just to say in reference to the FF discussion, I appreciate honest, incisive book reviews, such as are written here, and do not like sugar-coated, slick magazine-type hypes of books. I read JT’s first book and was not impressed. I found some what I’d consider factual, political errors and emailed him. He didn’t seem concerned. I’ll pass on book two. Way too much good crime fiction out there to read.

15. Pingback: Books of the Month – January 2012 | Reactions to Reading