A Fresh Start

springIt is a gorgeous spring day here in my corner of the world and I’ve had a great morning decluttering my house in preparation for our council’s annual hard rubbish collection. This is where we get to put all the big stuff that won’t fit in the normal rubbish bins out onto the footpath, ostensibly for collection by the council waste trucks but only after all the neighbours have snaffled what they want (there’s an awkward sort of pride in putting out items other people fight over).

Because I adore getting rid of things (I am the opposite of a hoarder) (and it always annoys me there is no word for us) I found this activity thoroughly enjoyable and realised I could extend the joy and do some additional decluttering in other aspects of life to help me get back into reading, blog visiting and blogging myself.

To this end I went to my RSS reader and hit the “mark all as read” button. I don’t know who I was kidding when I looked a few days ago and thought several thousand unread items was “doable”. Apologies to those whose undoubtedly brilliant thoughts I have missed but at least I now feel able to visit you all again.

I also took back all the library books that were lying around the house half-read. Much better books than the utter nonsense I selected for the 1976 challenge were in that basket but I know which books they were and I can always get them again later. I doubt any of the rest were bad but I couldn’t concentrate on any of them for long (and in the case of Lauren Beukes’ BROKEN MONSTERS I couldn’t hold the damned thing so I’ll be aiming for a paperback of it next time around).

I’ve even had a bit of a clean up here at the blog, choosing a new theme and getting rid of a few unnecessary widgets.

I’ve chosen a book by a new to me author about which I have heard only good things to formally reboot my reading. Which I intend to start doing just as soon as I’ve cooked some home made falafel (courtesy of a new recipe I found) and made myself a delicious sandwich.

Happy reading to all.

This entry was posted in random thoughts. Bookmark the permalink.

14 Responses to A Fresh Start

1. I am so happy you’ve got that feeling of ‘fresh start’ and ‘new,’ and the energy that go with that, Bernadette. It’s terrific, isn’t it? Looking forward to what you’ve got for us as the spring moves into summer…

2. realthog says:

This business of finding joy in getting rid of all the stuff littering the home: you couldn’t possibly tell my wife the secret, could you?

• May I suggest The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up by Marie Kondo? It’s a book – but there’s a bunch of stuff about her on You Tube too. She is a Japanese minimalist…her approach worked with a friend of mine who has been a dedicated hoarder for 55 odd years.

3. tracybham says:

The new look at the blog is nice. I envy you, being the opposite of a hoarder. As I am definitely older than you, I do worry about having too much stuff around as I get older and older. Yet it isn’t easy to get rid of. And I have a small place not a lot of rooms to be storing things in.

• I have no words of wisdom Tracy…for me it IS easy to get rid of stuff…and these days even easier not to acquire the stuff in the first place. The book I mentioned in the reply to the comment above (Marie Kondo) does have a lot to say about training your brain to think differently about the sunk costs of the stuff you have (even emotional costs that are implied in sentimental attachments). Might be worth a look?

• tracybham says:

The book might be useful. I like to read that type of book even when it seems to make no difference for me and maybe her approach would help. So it would not be a waste to give it a try.

4. I’m a happy de-clutterer/off-loader/recycler/sharer-of-the-love, too, Bernadette. Such a satisfying feeling to clear the decks. Enjoy! PS Like the new look blog, too.

5. Kay says:

It feels good to de-clutter, doesn’t it? I’m like you, the opposite of hoarder. My family knows that if they want to keep it, better tell me or off it goes. LOL

Like the new look. The tulips are so pretty. Hope you have a refreshed week in all ways!

6. I like the new look, and wish you luck with the other changes. And I’m a big fan of Marie Kondo.

7. kathy d. says:

I like the new blog look, too. May your fresh start continue in books and home maintenance. I have stuff, lots of it, mine, some business stuff, my family’s. I would love relatives to come here and help declutter and get rid of these boxes. I can’t do it myself.
    But when I do de-clutter, as I threw out half a file drawer of papers the other day, I felt so virtuous.
    Whenever I do get a bout of clearing-out energy and get rid of stuff, I feel great. It doesn’t happen often I say sitting here in the kitchen looking at piles of papers, wishing I had a magic wand to make it vanish. I need more storage!
    Best wishes in the fresh start.

8. Patti Abbott says:

Sometimes you just need to toss the whole pile and start fresh. And I also love to discard.

9. kathy d. says:

Yes! Discarding makes one feel so productive.

10. Keishon says:

I’m right there with you with discarding stuff. To live clutter-free is a great goal. I’m donating clothes and other small household items this weekend. They made it easy by picking it up off my front porch.