In an effort to get my unread book count under control I joined the My Reader’s Block Mount TBR Challenge this year. I didn’t want to be unrealistic so aimed to read at least 36 books that I owned prior to the start of this year. After an OK start I’ve faltered rather badly and have only read 5 eligible books since Checkpoint #1 (I missed checkpoint 2 entirely due to real life shenanigans). This makes for a paltry total of 19 eligible books which has me languishing about half-way up Pike’s Peak.
Host challenge Bev has offered some suggestions for how participants could check in…I’ve chosen the first
A – Who has been your favorite character so far? And tell us why, if you like.
Ignoring old favourites I can’t go past 13 year old Kulsoom who is one of several strong characters in Cath Staincliffe’s THE SILENCE BETWEEN BREATHS. Kulsoom is the sister of a man intent on creating terror; she is powerless to prevent it and unable to explain it. In a sign that the book and this character have a real ring of authenticity I thought of her immediately this week when a news broadcast aired a snippet of footage of the brother of the gunman from the mass shooting in Las Vegas. I know there are many, many people directly impacted by such events but I suspect the families of the perpetrators are at best forgotten and at worst vilified by association. Staincliffe really drew this out.
Here’s my full, paltry list of books read that I owned prior to the start of the year.
- Tom Keneally – Crimes Of The Father
- Cath Staincliffe – The Silence Between Breaths
- Sheila Connolly- Red Delicious Death (no review)
- Josephine Pullein-Thompson – Gin And Murder
- Kate Dyer-Seeley – Scene Of The Climb
- Ariana Franklin & Samantha Norman – Winter Siege (no review)
- Rebecca Bradley – Shallow Waters (no review)
- Elizabeth Edmondson – A Man Of Some Repute
- Margery Allingham – The Case Of The Late Pig
- J.M. Peace – The Twisted Knot
- Ellery Adams – Murder In The Paperback Parlor
- Agatha Christie – Sparkling Cyanide
- Sarah Ward – A Deadly Thaw
- Adrian McKinty – Gun Street Girl
- Samuel Bjork – I’m Travelling Alone
- Shamini Flint – A Frightfully English Execution
- Gianrico Carofiglio – An Involuntary Witness
- Michael Connelly – The Black Ice (no review)
- Karin Alvtegen – Shame